Beans are great cancer fighters. Try this easy and tasty recipe. This recipe is an all around winner. Enjoy!
- 2 cups cooked great northern beans
- ½ cup chopped, drained, marinated sun-dried tomatoes
- ¼ cup sliced ripe olives
- 1 Tablespoon chopped fresh basil, or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- Salt and pepper as needed
Continue reading “Italian White Beans”
Known as poor man’s food in Italy, this meal is fit to serve a king!
- 4 large garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 3 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 can or 2 cups cooked cannellini beans (reserving 1/3 cup liquid)
- 1 ½ pounds of chopped kale
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
- In a medium pot, sauté sliced garlic and red pepper flakes in oil on low heat until the garlic starts to brown.
- Add the beans including the liquid.
- Add the chopped kale and simmer until they’re cooked but still firm.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- If you would like it to be a bit more like a soup you can add some additional water.
- Drizzle a little extra virgin olive oil on the top of each bowl and serve with freshly grated Parmesan cheese.
- Serve with a nice piece of bread. Enjoy!
Making herbs a regular part of the diet is a super idea as many are a great source of antioxidants.
Yields approximately 1 ½ cups
- 1 cup packed basil leaves
- ½ cup toasted walnuts
- 1 garlic clove
- ½ cup Parmesan Cheese
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- Mix all in a blender or food processor until an even consistency is reached.
- You can add more garlic if you would like. You may want to mix it, have a taste and then decide.
- This pesto freezes wonderfully. Place the pesto in ice cube trays and once the pesto has solidified place the blocks in a plastic bag and use it in the future. The ice cube technique it nice because it freezes the pesto in handy portion sizes.
- The recipe can easily be doubled.
- You can try different nuts such as pine nuts or macadamias.
- You can try different herbs such as cilantro or parsley.
- Serve over top of pastas, grilled vegetables, and fish. Or turn a piece of French or Pita bread into a pesto pizza. The options are endless but all are delicious.
- Leave out the Parmesan cheese for a vegan pesto sauce.