Cooking with pumpkins can be very nutritious and delicious. Here are some tips. First off it is always best to cook with smaller pumpkins as they yield more flavor. Cut the pumpkin in half, and scoop out the seeds and stringy bits and then place the halves cut-side down in a baking dish and bake at 350 until the flesh is soft. Scoop out the pulp and puree in a food processor and then it is ready to use. The puree can also be placed in the freezer at this time and used later on.
Yields: 24 standard size muffins
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 cups pumpkin puree
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat egg, sugar, pumpkin and oil until smooth.
- In another bowl combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
- Then add to the pumpkin mixture and mix well.
- Fold in the nuts.
- Fill greased or paper-line muffin cups three-fourths full
- Bake for 16 to 20 minutes of until a toothpick can be stuck into a muffin and come out clean.
- Cool in pan 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack.