Looking for a unique gift? How about some freshly baked gingerbread? It also works wonderfully as a part of brunch or a dessert to end a meal.
- ½ cup molasses
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup butter
- ½ cup hot water
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 teaspoons freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons grated gingerroot
- 1 egg, beaten
- Preheat the oven to 300.
- Grease a 9 inch square pan
- In a saucepan over low heat, heat the molasses, sugar and butter. Mix in the hot water and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, salt and nutmeg. Stir in the gingerroot and the egg.
- Mix the molasses mixture with the flour mixture and pour into greased pan.
- Bake for 1 hour or until toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.