Avocados are super for our heart and overall health.
- 1 ripe avocado, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon finely diced red onion
- 1 tablespoon minced jalapeno
- 2 tablespoon fresh lime juice
It’s the easiest salad
Just mix them all together, salt and pepper to taste.
Another wonderful addition to this is coarsely chopped tomatoes and basil!
Salmon is a good source of omega 3 fatty acids which aid in cholesterol control and overall heart health.
- 8 ounce smoked salmon
- 1/2 cup sundried tomatoes
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cups green beans or chopped broccoli
- 1/2 pound pasta, cooked
- Capers, optional
- Salt and pepper
Continue reading “Smoked Salmon Pasta”
Frittatas are a great way to use up veggies that are almost out the door. Give this one a try but experiment with your own veggies too.
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 2/3 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 ½ cups scrubbed, chopped zucchini
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 2 teaspoons salt
- ¼ cup peeled, seeded and chopped tomatoes
- 6 large eggs, beaten
- In skillet, cook onions and green pepper in butter and 1 tablespoon olive oil stirring, 5 minutes.
- Add zucchini, cook covered 4 minutes.
- Add garlic, salt and tomato, cook stirring, 5 minutes.
- Transfer to bowl.
- Add eggs.
- Over medium heat, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in 10″ ovenproof skillet.
- Add egg mixture, cook 3-5 minutes till underside is set.
- Bake preheated 400 F degrees oven for 1 to 2 minutes till puffed and golden.
- Cut into wedges.
This dish provides some great color and is a nutritious and delicious side.
- ½ pound raw beets, trimmed
- 3 heads of Belgian Endives, medium
- 1 red onion
- 1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 Tablespoon red wine vinegar
- salt and pepper
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 4 Tablespoons finely chopped parsley
- Place the beets in a saucepan and add water to cover.
- Bring to a boil until the beets are tender, about 30 minutes, depending on the size or age of the beets.
- Drain and let cool.
- Remove the skins and slice the beets.
- Trim off the bottom of the endives and cut them into 1 1/2 inch strips.
- Drop the pieces into cold water.
- Drain and pat dry.
- Peel and slice the onion.
- Combine the mustard, vinegar, salt and pepper in a salad bowl.
- Add the oil and blend well with a wire whisk.
- Add the beets, endive, onion and parsley.
- Toss well and serve.
Here is an easy to make nutritious and delicious side option.
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons olive and coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Wash and scrub potatoes leaving the skins on.
- Cut the potatoes into 1/4 to 1/2 inch sticks or cubes and set aside
- Mix together the spices and oil
- Add the potato sticks to the mixture and coat well
- Lay onto a cookie sheet and bake for 30 to 40 minutes.
- Stir them halfway through cooking.
Please share your recipes with us. This Spanish rice can complement a variety fish. Submitted by Ryan at Westinghouse. Thank you, Ryan!
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 6 slices bacon
- 2 onions, diced
- 1 cup uncooked white rice
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 2 green bell peppers, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 (10 ounce) can sliced black olives, drained (optional)
- 1 (10 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained (optional)
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine chicken broth and tomato sauce.
- Bring to a boil while cooking the following:
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook bacon until evenly brown.
- Chop bacon, and set aside, reserving a small portion of the bacon fat.
- Add onion to skillet, and saute until tender.
- Stir in rice, and cook until lightly browned, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Pour in boiling chicken broth and tomato sauce.
- Add diced tomatoes, green peppers, and chopped bacon.
- Season with chili powder, salt, and pepper.
- Cover, and simmer for 30 to 40 minutes.
- Stir in black olives and corn.
If you are going to double the recipe (I usually make a doubled recipe), use the same amount of bacon strips and oil, and keep to 1 can of olives and 1 can of corn, double all other ingredients.