There are so many nutritious and delicious grains out there and many are so easy to cook. Ever try couscous? Try this wonderful recipe that incorporates this really ancient and healthy grain today.
What you Need
- 2 ½ c uncooked couscous
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 c. hot water
- ½ c. butter (1 stick)
- ½ c. minced onion
- 3 ½ tbsp curry powder
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp salt
- 6 drops Tabasco sauce
- ½ c. Toasted Pinenuts
- ½ c. currants
- Place the couscous in a bowl.
- Add the olive oil and rub the couscous with your hands to thoroughly coat each grain.
- Add the hot water and stir well until the water is absorbed.
- In a 10-inch saute pan, melt the butter over medium-low heat.
- Add the onion and cook gently until it is soft, about 10 minutes.
- Add the curry powder and cook another 2 minutes, stirring.
- Do not brown the curry powder or it will become bitter.
- Add the couscous, lemon juice, salt, Tabasco, pine nuts, and currants.
- Stir well to distribute the seasonings.
- Cook until couscous is hot and serve.
Note: This can be made up to a week in advance and reheated, covered, in a 350F oven for about 15 minutes.