A perfect side dish to complement a variety of meals.
- ½ cup red bell pepper, chopped
- ½ cup green onions, sliced
- 2 Serrano chilies, deseeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 ½ cups milk
- 1 ½ cups water
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ¾ cup white hominy quick grits
- 1 ½ cups Monterey Jack Cheese, shredded
- In a skillet melt butter and saute the bell pepper, onions, and chilies until the pepper is tender.
- In a large saucepan heat the milk, water, salt and pepper to boiling.
- Gradually add the grits, stirring constantly, and reduce the heat when they have all been added.
- Simmer uncovered, stirring frequently, until thick, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the bell pepper mixture and cheese.