Chocolate is an amazing thing. And when we think of this delicious, super healthy “super food”, we normally conjure up images of sweets, desserts, and flat out indulgence.
I love this recipe for a number of reasons … the least of which is the fact that this gives one more reason to eat chocolate. This time, however, it is in the form of a SAVORY sauce that you put right over pork or chicken.
- Cayenne pepper to taste
- · Freshly ground black pepper
- · 1-1/2 pounds chicken, cubed or cut into strips
- · 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- · 2 tablespoons mild chili powder
- · 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- · 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- · 1-1/2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- · 4 (14.5-ounce) cans stewed tomatoes
What To Do:
1. In a bowl, combine equal parts cayenne and black pepper to taste. Add chicken and toss gently to coat. Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large pot and add chicken. Cook 4 to 5 minutes, or until just cooked through. Remove chicken with a slotted spoon and reserve.
2. Meanwhile, combine chili powder with cumin, cinnamon and more cayenne pepper and black pepper as desired. Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in the same pot and add chili powder mix. Stir with a spoon and heat over medium heat until blackened, about 6 to 8 minutes.
3. Reduce heat to low, stir in chocolate, and continue stirring until melted. When chocolate is fully melted, add stewed tomatoes and bring to a boil. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring often. Add chicken and continue cooking until heated through, about 5 minutes. Serve warm.