A fabulous side dish that is soooo easy to make!
- 1 pound carrots
- ½ cup dry white wine
- ½ cup water
- 1 Tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- Peel the carrots, and cut them into thin rings.
- Put the wine, water, vinegar, crushed garlic, bay leaf and oil into a pan.
- Bring to a boil and; add the carrots.
- Boil for 8 minutes.
- Pour the ingredients into a bowl and; stir in the mustard.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Leave to stand for at least 6 hours.
- For the fullest flavor, let it stand for a couple of days.
Let’s prevent cancers! Beans are a super food and this is one of the many bonuses they may offer our health.
- 1 1/2 cups cooked black-eyed peas
- 3 cups hot cooked rice
- 1 Tablespoon Dijon-style mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Fresh ground pepper
- 3 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
- ¾ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 large carrot, peeled and grated
- ¼ cup minced parsley
Continue reading “Black-Eyed Peas and Rice Salad”
Mustard greens are a good source of soluble fiber which benefits our cholesterol control. Give this unique and flavorful dish a try.
- 2 bunches fresh mustard greens
- 1 bunch green onions chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- ½ cup peanut butter
- ¼ cup water
- Hot cooked rice
- Wash greens carefully.
- Trim off any tough stems.
- Hold 3 or 4 leaves together and tear into small even pieces.
- Bring a small amount water to a boil.
- Add salt and greens.
- Cook until greens are tender.
- Turn greens over in a pan and add chopped onions, and pepper.
- Cook until slightly limp.
- Form creamy paste with peanut butter and water.
- Pour paste over entire surface of greens.
- Cook slowly 10 minutes, stirring continually to blend.
- Continue to cook until moist, not runny.
- Serve with rice.
Looking for dish a dish that is a crowd pleaser? This potato dish works well as a starter to a meal or as a super side dish.
- 6 medium potatoes scrubbed
- 2 Tablespoons onion; minced
- 1 Tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Pinch of salt
- 2 Tablespoons whole wheat pastry flour or all-purpose flour
- Preheat the oven to 375.
- Shred the potatoes coarsely.
- Mix the shredded potatoes with the onion, parsley, pepper, and flour.
- Shape into patties and place on a greased baking sheet or one lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- If you like, place the patties under the broiler during the last few minutes for browning.
- Top with sour cream if you would like.
Beans are great cancer fighters. Try this easy and tasty recipe. This recipe is an all around winner. Enjoy!
- 2 cups cooked great northern beans
- ½ cup chopped, drained, marinated sun-dried tomatoes
- ¼ cup sliced ripe olives
- 1 Tablespoon chopped fresh basil, or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- Salt and pepper as needed
Continue reading “Italian White Beans”
This is a unique salad that incorporates in season fruits and veggies and also makes a nice complement to a variety of fall time meals.
- 4 medium carrots, shredded
- 1/3 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1 Tablespoon scallions, chopped
- 3 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl, toss and serve.
Known as poor man’s food in Italy, this meal is fit to serve a king!
- 4 large garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 3 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 can or 2 cups cooked cannellini beans (reserving 1/3 cup liquid)
- 1 ½ pounds of chopped kale
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
- In a medium pot, sauté sliced garlic and red pepper flakes in oil on low heat until the garlic starts to brown.
- Add the beans including the liquid.
- Add the chopped kale and simmer until they’re cooked but still firm.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- If you would like it to be a bit more like a soup you can add some additional water.
- Drizzle a little extra virgin olive oil on the top of each bowl and serve with freshly grated Parmesan cheese.
- Serve with a nice piece of bread. Enjoy!
Guacamole can be enjoyed in so many different ways and it’s so easy to make.
- 2 avocados
- 1/3 cup chopped red onion
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice or lime juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- Chili powder to taste – optional
Continue reading “Guacamole”