Known as poor man’s food in Italy, this meal is fit to serve a king!
- 4 large garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 3 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 can or 2 cups cooked cannellini beans (reserving 1/3 cup liquid)
- 1 ½ pounds of chopped kale
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
- In a medium pot, sauté sliced garlic and red pepper flakes in oil on low heat until the garlic starts to brown.
- Add the beans including the liquid.
- Add the chopped kale and simmer until they’re cooked but still firm.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- If you would like it to be a bit more like a soup you can add some additional water.
- Drizzle a little extra virgin olive oil on the top of each bowl and serve with freshly grated Parmesan cheese.
- Serve with a nice piece of bread. Enjoy!
Beans are great cancer fighters. Try this easy and tasty recipe. This recipe is an all around winner. Enjoy!
- 2 cups cooked great northern beans
- ½ cup chopped, drained, marinated sun-dried tomatoes
- ¼ cup sliced ripe olives
- 1 Tablespoon chopped fresh basil, or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- Salt and pepper as needed
Continue reading “Italian White Beans”
Guacamole can be enjoyed in so many different ways and it’s so easy to make.
- 2 avocados
- 1/3 cup chopped red onion
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice or lime juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- Chili powder to taste – optional
Continue reading “Guacamole”
Let’s prevent cancers! Beans are a super food and this is one of the many bonuses they may offer our health.
- 1 1/2 cups cooked black-eyed peas
- 3 cups hot cooked rice
- 1 Tablespoon Dijon-style mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Fresh ground pepper
- 3 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
- ¾ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 large carrot, peeled and grated
- ¼ cup minced parsley
Continue reading “Black-Eyed Peas and Rice Salad”
This is a unique salad that incorporates in season fruits and veggies and also makes a nice complement to a variety of holiday meals.
- 4 medium carrots, shredded
- 1/3 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1 Tablespoon scallions, chopped
- 3 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl, toss and serve.
This wonderful recipe, works as a delightful appetizer for potlucks, picnics or simply when enjoying a summertime dinner.
- 1 pounds fresh mushrooms
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- ½ cup olive oil
- 2 green onions with tops, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Cut mushrooms into 1/8-inch slices.
- Mix mushroom slices and lemon juice in large bowl (glass or plastic).
- Stir in oil, onions, 1/4 cup parsley, the garlic, salt, and pepper.
- Toss; cover and refrigerate at least 3 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Just before serving, remove from mixing bowl to serving bowl, using slotted spoon.
- Sprinkle with paprika.
- Garnish with parsley sprigs.
A fabulous side dish that is soooo easy to make!
- 1 pound carrots
- ½ cup dry white wine
- ½ cup water
- 1 Tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- Peel the carrots, and cut them into thin rings.
- Put the wine, water, vinegar, crushed garlic, bay leaf and oil into a pan.
- Bring to a boil and; add the carrots.
- Boil for 8 minutes.
- Pour the ingredients into a bowl and; stir in the mustard.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Leave to stand for at least 6 hours.
- For the fullest flavor, let it stand for a couple of days.
For more information: Click here to visit Will Clower’s website.
This is a perfect spring time salad topping and also a wonderful way to incorporate ginger, a super health food, into your diet.
- 1 Tablespoon ginger, minced
- 2 Tablespoons shallot, minced
- 1 Tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons lime juice
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ½ teaspoon sesame oil
- Black pepper to taste
- Combine all ingredients and whisk to blend well.
- Makes about 1/2 cup.
- Store in refrigerator for a short period.
- Serve with hearty salads, fish, beef, or vegetable chunks.